Thursday, October 2, 2008

Taking a Class

So I've been thinking about going back to school for a long time now, but being unsure of what I want to do "when I grow up," I've had a hard time getting motivated to put in the required time and energy. Finally, I decided that I would take one class fall quarter, a class that was easy and of interest to me, in hopes of getting excited about going to school. With that in mind, I registered for an eLearning class, HTML Fundatmentals: Introduction to website development through the mastery of the fundamentals of HTML, XHTML, and CSS coding for web pages. Intended to give the student the basic skills required to hand-code web pages from scratch. A four-page website will be developed. Topics include: text editors, essential elements, images, links, lists, forms, tables, and CSS-based page layout.

So far the class has been pretty much what I've expected. It's easy, relevant to some of my duties at work, and completely online, so I can do the work when I want. Plus, it's a requirement for the Sofware Solutions Development Specialist program (you can get a certificate of proficiency or AAS degree) which is of interest to me. And, since the Foundation will reimburse me for the class and textbook, assuming I get at least a "B" out of the class, I figured I have nothing to lose. I just turned in my first assignment. 3 days and 3 hours early!

I'm still not sure where I'll go from here, but it's a start.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Good for you, Karen. I know you will do very well. Keep us posted.
Love, Mom xxoo

E said...

Yes, good for you, Mama. Perhaps you will share with us sometime the results of one of your assignments?

E said...

Oh, do you have much interaction with classmates while taking your online course?

Karen said...

No, I don't have much interaction with other classmates, unfortunately. We are divided into 4 groups of 5 students and can only communicate (through Blackboard) with the other 4 students in our group. I provided some feedback to one student who had problems with the first assignment, but no one has posted a question or comment since. The class has been quite easy to this point, but is bound to get more complex. Perhaps at that point there will be more interaction between us.