Monday, June 1, 2009

Hiking


Mark and I have hiked the last three weekends. Averaging about 8 miles per hike, we're getting some good exercise and having a lot of fun. The weekend before last we hiked Wygant Trail Loop in the Gorge just west of Hood River. This was probably the most challenging of the three hikes. Though the climb wasn't too difficult as far as elevation gain, there were a lot of trees down which meant lots of scrambling. Thankfully, Mark was very patient and encouraging, holding my hand whenever I needed help or felt a little nervous. We made it about 3/4 of the way around the Chetwoot Loop when we came to Perham Creek--and no bridge. Apparently, it's been out for several years and was never replaced. There used to be a sign at the beginning of the loop indicating that the bridge was out. As the sign was no longer there, we thought they'd finally replaced the brigde. That didn't turn out to be the case, so we turned around and went back the way we came (and did a lot more scrambling).

Yesterday, we hiked a section of the Pacific Crest Trail at Panther Creek, just north of Carson, Washington. This was a bit steeper climb than the week before, but still not too difficult. There were a few trees down, but really only one large tree to climb over. Most of the trail was in the trees with not much more to see than trees, ferns, etc., but we were treated to a beautiful view of Mt. Hood at one point (narrow trail here and I hope to some day get over my nervousness about stopping and looking!) and then a gorgeous view of trees and hills on the north side of the Gorge when we reached our turnaround spot.

Though I haven't worn them on the trail yet, I got some new Merrell hiking shoes on Saturday. They're probably the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn, and I'm looking forward to trying them out. I also got an UnderArmor top to keep me cool and dry while hiking on warm summer days. Now I have to find the right pants to wear...
Photos here.

No comments: