Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Healthier Breakfast

I love granola, but don't like the amount of fat and sugar, not to mention preservatives and additives, in most store-bought granola. So, I've been looking for a good granola recipe, and I've found one that I really like that calls for no added oil. This granola doesn't have "clusters" like many granolas do, but I think it's quite tasty, especially when topped with a little almond milk.

Dry ingredients:
8 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut (I used raisins instead)
1 cup raw sliced almonds (I used raw slivered almonds)
3/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 tsp salt

Wet ingredients:
1 cup water
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp vanilla

  1. Mix the dry ingredients and set aside.
  2. Put the wet ingredients in blender and blend until creamy.
  3. Pour the wet mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well.
  4. Spread evenly on a non-stick baking sheet (I used 2 large cookie sheets)
  5. Bake at 250-275 degrees from 1 to 2 hours, until golden and crunchy, stirring every 20 minutes.
I baked mine for about 1 hour and 20 minutes, and then it started to get brown fast and I took it out. The only thing I will do differently next time is to not add the raisins until the second half of the cooking time as they seemed to get a little dry and chewy being in the oven for so long.

No comments: