Sunday, May 18, 2008

Mojito

I tried a new (to me) drink yesterday: mojito. It was delicious, refreshing, and just one drink lasted through two games of pool. (That's quite a while, given that I'm a pretty bad pool player.)

Mojito

Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 oz light rum
- 1 tbs superfine sugar
- Lime wedges
- Club soda
- Mint sprigs

Muddle mint leaves, superfine sugar and lime in a mixing glass. Add 1 1/2 oz light rum and ice in a cocktail shaker and shake. Strain the mixture into a tall glass and top with club soda. Garnish with fresh mint sprig. Sugarcane syrup can be used to replace superfine sugar.

We asked our bartender to not make ours too sweet, and he did a great job. I'm not sure if he made them less sweet by using less sugar or by adding more club soda (he served them in pint beer glasses filled with ice), but whatever he did, I thought mine was perfect!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd heard of mojitos but never was sure what was in them, nor tried one myself. But apparently their preparation involves muddling? What does that mean, exactly?

Karen said...

Good question. Apparently muddling is something I don't do well, because my attempt to make a mojito at home yesterday didn't turn out nearly as good as the one I had at the bar.

I just found this on the Internet:
What is muddling?
Muddling is the gentle but thorough bruising of fruit (or mint) with sugar
at the bottom of a glass. This produces a heightened essence which can
be used to flavour drinks and sweets.
The process of muddling is to bruise and press. You want to release
essential oils and fruit juice, but not make a mash of the ingredients.
Press firmly but slowly and in a controlled fashion that adds all the
pressure you want, but doesn’t break down the ingredients into mush or
bits. So no bashing, pounding or thumping!

Sounds like muddling takes some practice. And what type of tool or instrument do you muddle with? I'm going to have to try it again and see if I can reproduce the delicious drink I had on Saturday.

Anonymous said...

You muddle with a muddler. You can buy them in kitchen or bar supply stores. It looks somewhat like the mortar in a mortar and pestle set. It is the essential tool to make mojitos.