I don't know how long it's been in place, but
Kaiser Permanente is now providing training to their practitioners in treating LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) patients. This should be part of training--and ongoing training--for all health care professionals. I'm glad to see Kaiser has taken a step in the right direction and is striving to provide "culturally competent care."
2 comments:
Perhaps I am being too judgemental, but it bothers me that they try to be all sensitive to the fact that homosexuality was taken out of the DSM only 30 years ago, but doesn't say a word about the fact that GID, which gets applied so broadly as to often cover the GLB as well as the T, is still in there today.
Also, were you able to locate the handbook that they reference on their site somewhere? I would certainly like to read it to decide for myself whether or not they are as great as they claim they are. My experiences with them have lead me to belief that they are giving themselves too much credit.
The site did not include a link to the handbook, and I didn't try to find it. I agree that their claim is probably bigger than what they're doing; however, I'm just pleased to see that they're making an attempt. It has to start somewhere. Unfortunately, people aren't going to get to where we want them to be in a day, a week, or even a month. We just need to keep trying, keep educating people, keep showing them that GLBT people are people just like everyone else and, as such, deserve the rights and respect that all humans deserve.
Post a Comment