Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Fruit Loop




Mark and I spent a wonderful day Sunday exploring part of the "Fruit Loop" near Hood River. Cherries are the big fruit of the moment so we sampled several varieties, later returning to one stand to buy our favorite, which was also the best price. We sampled cherry jam, some absolutely delicious roasted red pepper, ginger, garlic salsa (it was expensive so we wrote down the ingredients and are going to try to make it some time), merlot chocolate sauce on strawberries...We bought cherry cider, which was very good but quite intensely flavored--a little bit goes a long way, and some hand pies which were like homemade Hostess pies. It wasn't just eating though. We petted goats, saw a couple of very relaxed llamas (yarn made from their recently sheared fur was for sale on the table next to them), and watched the smoke from the wild fire near Mt. Adams grow bigger as the day went on. Other than being about 10 degrees too warm, it was the perfect day.

5 comments:

E said...

Awesome. It was fun to see what Mark looks like. I bought some cherries at the farmers' market on Sunday, though they were just your regular old Bing, I think.

Karen said...

Good. I thought it would be fun to share the photos since Mark and I have been having such a good time together the past few weeks.

Unfortunately, I don't remember what kind of cherries we bought. It was a variety I hadn't heard of before.

Barbara said...

So glad you are making time for some fun--you really deserve it. Mark looks & seems very nice--he helped you fix your screen door. Bing cherries are special--my grandparents had a tree. My Mom used to can Royal Ann's from our tree in our front yard--got real tired of them! The newest variety is Rainier--haven't tried them, but they seem to be the most expensive.

Karen said...

Yes, Rainier cherries are quite expensive, but very good! And Mark is very nice and very good to me. It's been a very long time since I've dated someone so special.

(And I just used "very" four times!)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your photos, and the day's adventure. Mark seems so nice. It's great to see you so happy. Cheers! -Krista