Thursday, May 1, 2008

Optometry Adventures

Visited the eye doctor yesterday, partly because it had been close to two years since I'd had my eyes checked, but mostly because my contacts have been very dry and uncomfortable the past few months. I was really hoping to hear that a different contact would solve my discomfort, but was half expecting to be told that as I get older I'm just going to have to expect to wear my contacts less often and for shorter periods of time.

Well, everything went very well. So far at least. My eyes are very healthy with no signs of glaucoma, cataracts, or macular degeneration. That was what I expected, but it's still good to hear. And I still don't need reading glasses, despite nearing my 47th birthday (knock on wood!). And I'm trying a new (to me) contact that is supposed to be very comfortable. Apparently, the ones I've been wearing for several years were one of the best when they came out, but are now being phased out as they are developing better contact lens materials. So, I'm going to wear these for a couple of week and if everything looks and feels good after that, I'll order a supply. They're more expensive at $6 a lens. That's quite a jump in price percentage-wise considering I was paying under $5 a lens for my old lenses, but since I go through just 2 lenses a month, it is definitely affordable.

Then for glasses. Even with comfortable contacts, I still need glasses, and I'm really tired of the pair I've had for about four years now. Plus, they're scratched and bent, so I definitely need a new pair. Aaron and Kit have both ordered glasses online and have been happy with what they've gotten--both with price and quality--so I decided to give it a try. I found a pair of frames at Kaiser that I really like (at $150 for the frames, only) and then found what look like a very similar frame at Zenni Optical. With that frame, the complete pair of glasses from Zenni, including shipping, is just $26. So, I ordered a pair! I'm looking forward to receiving them in a couple of weeks.

Aaron shared with me a couple of blogs he read while researching the idea of purchasing glasses online. One is about the actual shopping for and selecting your glasses, the other is about the outrageous mark-ups optometrists put on the glasses we purchase from them.

7 comments:

Barbara said...

Great price--saves alot. Let us know how you like them. Only wonder how you get the right size--do you send measurements? Love, Mom xxoo

Karen said...

Your pupil distance is the only measurement you send them, besides your prescription, of course. Each frame for sale is listed with its individual measurements. I selected one with measurements very close to those of the glasses I currently own (measurements are found inside the arm of the frame). Some articles on the internet say that ordering glasses online is not a good idea because each pair needs to be fitted individually to the person. While I understand that thinking and I agree that a good fit is ideal, I know at least a couple of people who had their glasses fitted by a "professional" but got a poor fit. Two in particular have deep indents on the sides of their head every time they take off their glasses, and they both spent hundreds of dollars! So, we'll see what I get for my $25. If they don't fit well, I'm not out a lot of money, but if I end up being happy with them I will have gotten a great bargain!

Anonymous said...

Could you show us a picture of the frames you ordered, Mom, or would you rather we wait and see them on you? I am curious to see what you picked out.

Karen said...

I ordered this frame.

Karen said...

In grey.

Anonymous said...

Neat. I hope to see them when you come up for Kit's birthday.

I just noticed House Lust in your book list, and it reminded me of this article that I read earlier today. What moved you to read House Lust?

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing that article; I hadn't heard of the house. The photos and descriptions are interesting. It would be like living in a very fancy hotel. And 6 floors for parking?!

I'm not sure what moved me to read House Lust. I must have read a review somewhere, Powell's Daily Dose is my guess.