Sunday, May 11, 2008

Vocabulary

I'm currently reading The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud and enjoying it very much. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good novel to read. I'm about 2/3's of the way through the book and have come across a several words that I'm not completely familiar with. I thought it was about time I looked up a few of them as improving one's vocabulary is always a good thing!

benison: -noun a blessing; a benediction
uxorious: -adj. doting upon, foolishly fond of, or affectionately submissive towards one's wife
insalubrious: -adj. unfavorable to health; unwholesome

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Thank you for the vocabulary lesson--and for the book recommendation. I sometimes play that word game for rice, and am amazed at all the words I never heard of! Some I can guess.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the words. Some people at work put up a "word of the day" on a whiteboard near my cube, so I sometimes pick up a new word that way. As for yours, benison looked completely foreign to me, so I'm sure I'd never even come across it before; I was pretty sure of the meanings of the other two, but had my understanding reinforced, so that's good.

Karen said...

I love the idea of posting a "word of the day" in a general location where people can talk about it. I get a word of the day on my Google home page, but I don't often take the time to really look at and think about it.