Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Star Trek

Mark and I went to see the new Star Trek movie last night (Tuesday evenings are a great time to go to the movies--very few people there!). I was expecting to like the movie well enough, and was looking forward to spending time with Mark, but that was about it, given that I'm not a huge movie fan. Though I could have gone for less violence and more character development, I really enjoyed the film. I laughed, I cried, I cringed. The special effects were great. I think the best part, though, was watching how the new actors portrayed the characters from the original TV series. I think the fact that I remember so much about the characters from the original series--and while watching the movie I realized that I remember more than I thought--was the main reason I liked this movie. The actors did a really good job of recreating the mannerisms and chemistry of the original cast. I think my favorite was Zachary Quinto as Spock. I just like the character of Spock--logical, yet always struggling with the feelings of his human half--plus I'm familiar with Quinto from the TV show, Heroes, and it was fun to see him in this different role. Getting back to my comment about wishing for more character development--a comment that Mark made about the movie as well--it would be great fun to see a new Star Trek TV series starring the cast from this movie.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Oh, I didn't realize that Sylar played Spock. How intriguing.

It's too bad about the violence, but I'm glad you still enjoyed the movie. I'm looking even more forward to seeing it myself now.

Karen said...

Intriguing, indeed. There was one scene where he made a facial expression where his mouth looked so much like (an evil) Sylar. But other than that, I was totally able to separate him from the other role, the other character. That was good, because going into the movie I wasn't sure I would be able to.

Barbara said...

I like the way you have organized this site; all your pictures and books read in one place. Am enjoying some of the pictures I had not seen before. Thanks.